Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How much does speaker polarity matter?

In article
,
wrote:
Hello all...

I recently installed a radio and stereo speakers in my car. The
speakers were a trashpicking find and they seem to work just fine. At
the time I wired them up, I didn't know which terminals represented +
and - on the speakers, so I took a guess and wired them both the same
way. The speakers had no marking to indicate polarity, other than a
"thin" spade lug for one terminal.

Just the other night I found the box the speakers were in. It has a
detailed wiring diagram on the side. According to the diagram I have
reversed the + and - connections on both speakers.

Over the years I've read a number of different views on the effect of
wiring speakers with reversed polarity. I've heard everything from "it
won't really matter if the speakers are both wired the same way" to
"the sound won't be as good because the speaker cone will pull inward
instead of being pushed out".

Basically you're talking about so called 'absolute phase'. Which is total
rubbish spouted by some self appointed 'experts'. If you think of a sine
wave, moving your head relative to the source can reverse the phase at any
one point in time.

It wouldn't be hard to fix, but should I bother correcting the
polarity?

No reason to at all.

William

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.