Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mark Ohlund Mark Ohlund is offline

Default Powermatic 3520

wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a life-long woodworker and I'm finally going to extend my craft to
turning. I've been shopping around and I've settled on the Powermatic
3520B as a perfect lathe. I don't want to buy another one in my life
so I'm willing to spend to get a good one that won't leave me wishing
for another.

Here is my question. Are there folks in the group who have good or
bad things to say about this lathe? If you were buying your dream
lathe, why wouldn't you buy this one? It's too expensive to get this
wrong! If there is something out there cheaper that will serve me
well, then I'd like to hear about that too.

Bud:

I got the 3520B a little over a year ago. I wasn't going to drop $5K+ on
a OneWay and I wanted a general-purpose lathe as opposed to a bowl-lathe.

I have no regrets whatsoever. My only suggestion is that if you want to
turn smaller items (eg. pens, bottle stoppers, etc.) you probably also
want to get a shorter tool rest. The 12" default makes it kind of
difficult when turning shorter pieces. Good luck.

~Mark.