Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Vacillator Vacillator is offline

Default "tp clean" message from cassette player = ???

Hey thanks for the quick replies. This is a tape player in a Volvo
truck (tractor). The tapes played fine until yesterday when one
started to "warble" and slow down. I put a different tape in and it
was OK for a while, then started to warble, and ate the tape ! I had
to cut the tape to get it out. Now whenever I put a tape in, any tape,
it doesn't play at all, and the screen message toggles rapidly from A
to B, as though it is trying to play side A, gets resistance, tries to
play side B, ad infinitum.

Would a cleaning tape even play in there at his point? I looked
inside the flip door with a flashlight. I think I have all the broken
tape out of there. I can't locate the tape head at this point. Looks
like maybe it pops up out of hiding after you put the cassette in.