Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Tool recommendation for turning cold rolled steel

No, the cut was light, maybe 5-10 thousandths. It was dropping little
tiny bits, sorta like big sand granules.

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
With a small nose like that you need to move slowly. You likely
got some spirals or rings.

That is typical in HSS when a point is used not a round nose.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Louis Ohland wrote:
I'm seeing a poor finish on a length of cold rolled steel (I dunno
what it is exactly). The tool is on center, RPMs are about 500, but
there are like little bits of swarf welded to the part. Sort of
reminds me of using a cheap ballpoint pen and the ink globs up and
sticks to the paper.

The cut itself is OK, but the surface finish looks poor.

I'm using an indexable insert with about a 1/32" nose (IIRC). This
makes me wonder if the insert is the correct grade, or maybe this
result is the best that I can get with this steel.

I'm entertaining thoughts of HSS, but the issue is who will grind it
when it needs to be resharpened? My dad has poor eyesight, so that's
why I went with carbide in the first place. That way I didn't have to
be standing at the lathe every second while he was working.

I can accept using brazed inserts or something similar, but grinding
relief angles is not an option.