Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Any suggestions on how to flatten a hard Arkansas stone?

In article
,
" wrote:

On Jan 1, 10:23 pm, "toolman946 via CraftKB.com" u40139@uwe wrote:
I have a black, hard Arkansas oil stone that's probably close to 100 years
old (handed down from grandpa). The surface isn't flat anymore and it has
some chips and dings from many years of service. It doesn't seem to cut
very
well too, and I'm guessing the pores are filled with dirt and dross. I've
read about techniques to clean the surface (such as a good long soak in an
oil dissolving cleaner and baking in a stove) and I had been planning to go
at the surface with a diamond grit flat stone of similar width. Has anyone
had any experience (good or bad) with rejuvenating an old timer like this?

'preciate your comments...

Cheers.

Michael

Go here, join, and do a search. If you can't find the answer ask,
someone should know. Look in mantainance.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index.php

Norton makes a gray stone intended for flattening other stones, mainly
waterstones, but it ought to work on Arkansas stones as well:

Norton "Flattening Stone" 9x3x0.75", article 99366 87444, bought from
Rockler for about $30.

As for degunking, I'd be tempted to soak the stone in acetone overnight,
followed by a trip through a domestic dishwasher.

Joe Gwinn