Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
toolman946 via CraftKB.com toolman946 via CraftKB.com is offline

Default Any suggestions on how to flatten a hard Arkansas stone?

whit3rd wrote:
I'd start with hot soapy water, then rub vigorously with a good quality plastic eraser (in my
experience, this removes surface gum and glaze), work it against
a cheapo (dollar store) gray stone for a bit, and finish with a
few strokes against a diamond hone.

Good suggestions. I was going to give it a wash with TSP or some similar
degreaser. I hadn't thought of an eraser but it's worth a try.

I wouldn't try to flatten it, and a few nicks don't hurt the
operation.
Remember, only if the nick is as big as your bevel will the blade
alter course going over it!

There's some nicks on the edge that alter the face enough that I want to
remove or reduce them. The face isn't nicked or gouged but it's not really
flat. I wonder if it ever was? It almost looks like it was rough hewn and
didn't get much finishing when it was first made. I know my grandfather
didn't have much money to buy expensive tools just after the war (dub-ya dub-
ya 1). It's possible he bought it as a "second" or some such thing. His
skills more than compensated for mediocre equipment.

I use my natural stones with a little soapy water, and they don't seem to clog. Oil has never worked well for me.

I never felt like oil did anything on this stone, but I hardly ever used it
'cuz it was a poor performer. I think it's dirty and glazed and I'm hoping
it'll spruce up with some TLC.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers.