Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

In article , Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
"Dave Bugg" wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:51:23 -0800, Dave Bugg
wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 17:53:16 +0000 (UTC), Don Klipstein
wrote:
In
,
z wrote in part:

Maybe the outdoor bulbs are designed to fire at lower temps than
the indoor bulbs?

Anyway, yeah, electric heat is cheaper

Where? Not USA national average, nor the metropolitan areas of
NYC, Chicago or Philadelphia.

electric heat isn't cheaper anywhere.

Really? Here in Douglas County, WA our residential electric rate is
.0185 per KW hour. We have cold winters and hot summers. My home is
2400 Sq Ft and is total electric. My average bill is $52.00 per
month. Of course our Public Utility District owns its two hydro
dams, and sells the surplus electricity on the open market at market
prices.

0.0185 what per KWH? cents? dollars?

How do you get dollars from 0.0185 ? Doesn't the decimal point indicate
something?

How would you rationalize anything other than dollars
from 0.0185/KWH???

I surely rationalize dollars per KWH - as in .0185 dollars per KWH,
which is 1.85 cents per KWH, which is something like 1/6 the average of
USA residental cost for the portion of USA excluding Douglas County WA.

If this is true, that is, which I consider fairly likely for an area
with a hydropower plant with excess capacity and ability to sell its
surplus to "The Grid" at "market rate".

A large majority of the USA outside this county has more need for
compact fluorescents than this county has. In a county with 1.85 cent per
KWH electricity, outside season for air conditioning (which most counties
of WA have low need for), compact fluorescents have main sales opportunity
being long life and a good track record of good life expectancy, to extent
that per-bulb cost exceeds that of incandescents only by a ratio less than
the ratio of life expectancy among those two types.

For that matter, in a super-low-electricity-cost county, the lowest-cost
incandescents are ones of moderately longer life, especially the 1500 hour
ones available at Home Depot, the 130V version of "standard" ones at
Lowes (watts reduced 11%, light output down 23-23%, life multiplied by
roughly 2.5 - to about 1900 hours) and the "/99" ones rated to last 2500
hours with light output reduced 13-15% (check out the Philips lamp catalog
and bulbs.com).
Compact fluorescents can have quite a tough sell in such a county, and
merely a mildly difficult sell for ones with good and well-published and
well-peer-reviewed data indicating life expectancy of at least
6,000-10,000 hours - along with warning buyers of the applications where
they run into shorter life (short runtime per start, heat-hellhole
downlights, whatever) - and those selling them should say where they do
better and where they are more likely to run into whatever specific ones
of the common few pitfalls!

- Don Klipstein )