Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin Grant Erwin is offline

Default Any suggestions on how to flatten a hard Arkansas stone?

toolman946 via CraftKB.com wrote:
I have a black, hard Arkansas oil stone that's probably close to 100 years
old (handed down from grandpa). The surface isn't flat anymore and it has
some chips and dings from many years of service. It doesn't seem to cut very
well too, and I'm guessing the pores are filled with dirt and dross. I've
read about techniques to clean the surface (such as a good long soak in an
oil dissolving cleaner and baking in a stove) and I had been planning to go
at the surface with a diamond grit flat stone of similar width. Has anyone
had any experience (good or bad) with rejuvenating an old timer like this?

I can say with great certainty that baking out an abrasive stone can fail
spectacularly. I tried once, setting it near the coals in an outdoor fire.
After some time I heard a loud crack, and discovered my stone in about six
pieces.

I don't recommend that.

Grant