Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] CATRUCKMAN@AOL.COM is offline

Default Rebuilding a trailer - what to do about the deck... (& Ping TomGardner)

On Jan 1, 2:59�pm, wrote:
Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

snip �Decision time #1 - What to use for a deck, and where to get a decent
deal.

�Whether to use plywood again (properly weather treated this time),
or expanded metal, or diamond-tread steel floor plate, or Oak plank...

�I'm leaning toward 6' x 16' 1/8" diamond-plate with cross stringers
every 16" to 24", but then I have to flip the whole thing up on it's
side to paint the bottom...

snip

� Have you considered ipe? Dense, rot-resistant, hard & strong. It's
become a popular decking material.

First off don't consider any form of metal. The coefficient of
friction between your greasy machine bottoms and the metal deck will
guarantee accidents. Secondly most truck beds are made of apitong.
It's nasty stuff to work with but tougher then nails. I have a twenty
year old trailer that has had the apitong beat to death and I had a
chance to pick up some 5/4 oak for a buck aboard foot so that is what
is going back on. I gave Gunner some 1" AC plywood for his trailer and
he has nearly worn through in just a couple of years. Plywood doesn't
work for a weather exposed deck. If you look at the decks on Dunkel
Bros. Machinery Mover's trucks you find them mostly wood. probably
apitong. If you really want to go cheap, find an impoter of Taiwan
boats and get the cradles from him. They are usually apitong and all
you have to do is resaw the 6" x 6" beams into decking material.
Leigh at MarMachine