Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] re@rollandelliott.com is offline

Default How can I automatically tap 500 holes in 5/16-18 thread sizeusing a hand drill or drill press?

Hi Ned I'd love some pics. re AT rollandelliott.com is my email.
You're right the aluminum extrusions are pre drilled so I just need to
tap them and you are also right in recommending the flutted taps. I
just never knew they exsisted!

I guess my dilemna now is whether I should some how rig up my drill
press horizontally with a tapping unit or if I should get one of these
fancy handheld drilling units. I've already busted $50 worth of taps
so I'm a bit aprehensive about using a handheld tool that introduces
wobble and busting more. should that be a concern?

The extrusions I have are 12feet, 8 feet and 4 feet long so if I go
the drill press route I'll deffintely need to put the drill press on
its side. I hope that won't mess up the tapping unit somehow?

Trevor, thanks for the cordless drill advice but Been there and done
that and $50 bucks down the drain

Cecil, thanks for the link, at $360 or more I think I'll pass though.
I did find a couple used for half that price though.

George, thanks for the link. I'd never be able to remove that chuck
with out your knowledge. I guess you just take a hammer and bang on
the end of it?

thanks everyone and happy new year!