Posted to alt.home.repair
JD JD is offline

Default Heating cooling problem

JD,
Your post is a bit confusing. You looked at the home and had an
inspection that revealed serious capacity problems. You had 3
companies look at it and your decision was to buy the home and replace
the furnace with a bigger one to handle the total home?
What did you do with the duct system? You do know the old saying that
you can put 10 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag, right?
Quite honestly, its sounds like you will be living with a problem or
getting rid of some serious cash. Get a pro, have it evaluated and
make a decision.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

We upped the SEER to take care of the square footage of the house.
The original owner had nearly doubled the size of the house BUT had
never replaced the original furnace. So, as the inspector told us,
the original furnace was adequate for the original house, but
inadequate and inefficent for the house now. We put in a newer,
Energy Star furnace to handle the house. Granted, most likely the
better idea would have been to put in a 2 zone system, but at the
time, we didn't have the $. We have closed 1 of the 2 vents in
daughter's room and partly closed the 2nd in order to deal with the
excess heat. We also have a ceiling fan in there as well because the
room is 17 x 18. Our main problem is the adequate lack of heat/ac in
our bedroom. Considering this guy did a lot of the stuff himself (and
we've just found out that lo and behold, the guy was a home inspector
himself), and we've unfortunately found that he cut a lot of corners
(we've had the house nearly 4 years now) that we didn't know about,
we're not sure what we're facing, but from what you all are telling
me, we're definitely going to get the HVAC people out to give us
options. I just wanted to ask questions beforehand so I don't look
like a total dufus.