Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff Errol Groff is offline

Default Tool recommendation for turning cold rolled steel

I'm entertaining thoughts of HSS, but the issue is who will grind it
when it needs to be resharpened? My dad has poor eyesight, so that's why
I went with carbide in the first place. That way I didn't have to be
standing at the lathe every second while he was working.

I can accept using brazed inserts or something similar, but grinding
relief angles is not an option.

If HSS tools are the way you want to go try a local vo tech high
school or technical college with a manufacturing program. Maybe you
can get an instrucrot to have a student grind a bunch of tools for you
so your Dad will have them on hand.

I know that I can be easily bribed with doughnuts to such a thing. Or
rather haave my students do the task.

And before anyone jumps in I consider it vital that my students have
hand grinding skills. What they learn about angles and finish on
tools goes a long way when they shift to carbide. Our motto is "learn
to do it the old fashin way" before moving to the new fangled stuff.

I will second the notion of MORE light on the tool. My vision is no
where near what it once was and I appreciate extra illumination.

If you don't have a big rush I could probably bring you some sharpened
tool this summer when I go to Oshkosh.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School