Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default snow and metal question

"Ken Finney" wrote in message
. ..
Why does snow stick to metal? Or more specifically, why does it stick to
some metals more than others? Is it a question of the size of the grain
structure, or something else?

One big factor is likely to be cleanness, specifically absence of greasy
organic molecules. Most metals are readily wetted with water provided they
are clean (e.g. by abrading under water). In some cases there is going to be
a thin layer of oxide present. I think that if you cool a metal which is
well wetted below freezing point, the ice which forms is going to adhere
reasonably well especially to the oxides on ferrous metals. I'd guess it
might not adhere so well to clean pure gold.