Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody somebody is offline

Default Mortice lock removal

In message , Appin
writes
The message
from contains these words:

On 1 Jan, 01:44, Appin wrote:
The message
from Bill contains these words:

Joe public are a strange breed, in a previous life my wife's daughter
lost the key to the padlock that was holding her bike secure in the
middle of Bedford. I went down with a small anvil, hammer and chisel, a
couple of minutes later the lock was off and the bike gone. Centre of
town on a Saturday, no one batted an eyelid.

Why am I not surprised?

Last May some swine living at 7 Hardwick Road in Bedford ordered a
bicycle on the internet quoting my name and the number of one of my
credit cards.
Somewhat surprisingly, the bicycle retailer sent the bicycle to that
address without any checks.

Phoned Bedford's "finest" where a female grunt told me in no uncertain
terms that the Bedford Police couldn't care less and wouldn't even take
details.

Lessons to be learned

1. *Bedford is a good place to steal bicycles -- the police are ready to
state officially that they aren't interested

2. *Do not use a Citicard of any description -- months of talking to
personages in an Indian call centre have achieved absolutely nothing but
promises to talk to "the *concerned department" -- to which I respond
that the problem is that the department is not concerned.

You should have requested chargeback from the CC.

Which of course I did. But remember that dealing with small persons in
an Indidan Call Centre where most of them have only a limmited command
of INDIAN English which is NOT the same in its grammar, syntax or use of

I've only once had trouble with a a CC company in the vain you describe.
I got to so fed up of having the same conversations over and over again
with the call centre that eventually I went to the police station and
got myself a crime number.

The police station was as interested in it as the call centre to be
honest, but AIUI, any allegation of a crime *must* be recorded and
investigated. I had to make a total PIA of myself at the nick but
eventually I got myself a crime number.

I then went back to the CC company and said (sort of long winded version
of) "shove that up your asre, I'm not paying". As if by magic it all
went away.

Hth, I do appreciate how frustrating these CC co's can be.
--
Someone