Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Ride-on Mower w/Snowblower

cloud dreamer wrote:
I'm not sure if
Simplicity is available locally, but I haven't started seriously looking

Maybe I'm just used to the plain-jane SIMPLICITY of 30yr old Bolens
blowers- 3 bolts & 10 minutes to change a belt; sparkplug on top
where it can be checked in seconds; 4 screws bring the carb into
plain sight.

My brother-in-law called one day last winter to ask if I'd come over
with a 5/8? socket so he could change the plug in his 3yr old
Simplicity. When I got there he had a pile of tools laid out-
had removed one shroud, [some screws and 2 different size bolts] but
couldn't get the next one. And the plug was still not visible.

He told me he had had it tuned up a couple months before- so I
suspected ice in the gas-- but couldn't see any way of checking that
without tearing a whole lot more of his snowblower apart.

Luckily- when he went in the house for something, I tried it 'one last
time - and the beast started- so it was probably just flooded. But
just looking at how difficult it was to perform the simplest of
repair/diagnoses, convinced me I'd never own a Simplicity.

Jim