Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default Newbie Turning Questions

On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:33:46 -0500, Andy K. mcse666@gmail_com wrote:

Hello All and Happy New Year,

I have a couple of questions being new to turning. Currently the
only thing I have done is to try and make square stock round and other
things to get a feel for the lathe. My main projects at this time are
going to be turning pens. How do you figure out what speed to turn at,
is it different for the different species of wood, or is hardwood
hardwood? When I am turning what type of shvings should I expect;
actual shavings, dust or what?

Also can I figure out what I am doing wrong based on what is coming
off of my turned piece? Any and all suggestions and info would be
greatly appreciated.

I'm never lost, someone is always telling me where to go...

PLAY!!!

Put a chunk of scrap on with the intention of turning it into shavings... no
finished project in mind, no stress, just play with the tools..

Enjoy the sound and feel of the tool/wood interaction... try things that you
might not if it was a $40 bowl blank or a olive candlestick...

Read your shavings, practice sharpening your chisels... make a mess and learn to
be "alertly relaxed".. I don't think you can really turn well if you're too
tight, you relax and get into the zone..

OH.. and spend a few minutes trying to get the big-ass grin off your face before
going back into the house..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing