Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull Nick Hull is offline

Default OT Digital camera mod

In article ,
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Hmm ... note that the thing which seems to slow down the
power-up cycle of most digital cameras is involved with the autofocus
and the "live view" display.

I don't need autofocus, I know the distance to a good enough approx.,
and I would not use the live view display. How do I look look a camera
that LACKS these common features?

But the longest that it can be set to stay powered up is 30
minutes, IIRC. Note that just a touch on the shutter release button (to
half-depressed) will wake it up as quickly.

A nuisance to be sure for remote opeation

The Digital SLRs happen to be the most expensive digital cameras
in general, so are probably not what you want.

True, the camera will be at risk from weather and vandals.

However -- what I would suggest is that you look at some of the
digital video cameras. You'll need a video capture card on your
computer to grab what it sends, of course, but it will stay on full
time. These cameras can be obtained for very little (IIRC, I got one --
uncased but with lens -- for about $25.00 at a hamfest last summer.
These are *made* to be security cameras.

Finding a video camera is easy, getting the signal 1000' and recording
it is tougher. I cannot simply capture the entire feed, often 24 hrs
goes by without a significant 'event'.

If you can involve a computer, and you simply watch and then hit
a button to tell it to save a picture -- this should do.

I want it principally when I CANNOT watch, when I'm sleeping or gone.

Look at a used Digital SLR. Anything which does not try to use
its display as a viewfinder should be pretty quick to turn on. And
maybe you can find one inexpensive enough. Do you want to put it in a
weatherproof housing -- or just bring it in when the weather threatens?

It will stay in the weather 24/365, I'll make a housing to protect it.