Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Need temporary power supply for laptop

Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2008 04:40:35 +0000, mike wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 21:27:39 -0500, mm wrote:

It seems I mailed home the powersupply cord and transformer for my IBM
ThinkPad 600E, instead of putting it in my suitcase.

So I need something to use until the package I mailed comes.

It says 15.5 to 17 volts DC, 56 watts, and I have a whole bunch of
possible adaptors to use, but if I have to make one from a transformer
and diodes, how much ripple filtering would I likely have to do to
simulate the original power supply. None at all? So many microfarads
worth before and so many after the diodes?
Your basic regulated full wave bridge supply with a 470 uf cap across the
output will work just fine. Make sure it can deliver a steady 2 amps.

What is a "basic regulated" full wave bridge supply?

It's a basic regulated full wave bridge supply.

Repeating the words does little to clarify.
A "basic full wave bridge supply" is (to me) by definition UNREGULATED.
If it's regulated, the fullness and waveness and bridgeness is
irrelevant to the load. Or the pile of smoking plastic that once
was the laptop in question.

--
Return address is VALID!