Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

In message , at 10:21:10 on Tue, 1
Jan 2008, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
I think we are both conflating two different ideas. Clearly (as I am
myself) you are well resourced and mobile "Road Warrior". Others have
made remarks about field sales and installation, and avoiding the
necessity to have external face-to-face meetings. These activities
aren't teleworking as most people understand the word.
Teleworking is about working from home and collaborating with a
fairly static group of colleagues (albeit perhaps also with a rapidly
changing customer base) using telecoms, rather than everyone using a
central office facility.

Teleworking is simply working using long distance communications.

It has no more implications than that.

So what word do you prefer for people who aren't Road Warriors and are
therefore the stay-at-home telecoms users that this discussion kicked
off discussing? Tele-commuters perhaps?

Under your definition of teleworker, a policeman on the beat is a
teleworker, as he calls in much of his work, and gets most of his
orders, on the phone; rather than having to return to the police station
to do it in person.
--
Roland Perry