Posted to alt.home.repair
krw[_2_] krw[_2_] is offline

Default 2008 Pres

In article ,
alt.home.repair, says...
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 22:10:49 -0500, krw wrote:

In article ,
alt.home.repair,
says...
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:55:22 -0800, Oren wrote:

I'm a contractor. I get no benefits from my "employer".

Get a new boss...
Oren

Nobody ever got any free benefits from an employer.

Exactly.

It is simply part of your salary. That is why "contractors" get (or
should get) a lot higher hourly wage.

Yep, the employer doesn't pay a lot of the costs and has the
benefit fine tuning workload. For that benefit they trade money.
I don't get any paid vacation, sick time, holidays, or health
insurance and have to move where the temporary work is, on my dime.
To offset those costs I get paid significantly more than
"employees". Both sides are happy with the bargain (or it wouldn't
have been made). Gotta love capitalism.

I have been an employee and I have been a contractor. I prefer
contractor ... but I also understand I have to provide for myself out
of that windfall. That may be more personal responsibility than a lot
of Americans are willing to shoulder. The good news is all of that
"providing" is tax deductible. A sharp pencil and a good understanding
of the Schedule C had me paying a whole lot lower taxes than I ever
did as an employee. I did get audited once, The IRS ended up writing
me a $1600 check. I was too conservative in my deductions and that
triggered the audit. Just be sure you keep good records

I've been on both sides now too. I worked for &megacorp. for more
than thirty years before an offer came by that I couldn't refuse.
I hadn't considered contracting but the job sounded interesting.
The money was too hard to turn down, even though I lived away from
home for three months (then moved them after the house sold). A
few things have surprised me, all positive. As far as records go,
I've kept everything, though I have been remiss in keeping it all
organized. ...too much overtime. ;-)

--
Keith