Posted to alt.home.repair
hvacrmedic hvacrmedic is offline

Default GFCI Tripping Repeatedly?

On Dec 31, 11:24*am, HerHusband wrote:
How about static discharge from their finger to the switch
when they go to turn it off?

I considered that, but the GFCI trips even if I just touch the switch
handle (no metal conductive parts).

It will sometimes also trip three or four times in a row. Trip, reset,
trip, reset, etc. Then it'll go several weeks without tripping again.

The GFCI, switch, wiring, and fan are all new. I've already replaced the
GFCI and switch to rule those out as faulty. Everything is properly wired
and grounded.

My in-laws live out of town so I don't get up that way very often, but I'm
going to try the double-pole switch on our next visit. If that fails, it
has to be a faulty fan, or a problem with the wiring.

Anthony

Actually it sounds like a wiring issue. Conductors have an inductive/
capacitive link between them. If you have a stray conductor running a
different load that is close to and parallel to the wires feeding the
fan motor, then you'll get a current imbalance through the GFCI.