Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Need temporary power supply for laptop

In article ,
mm wrote:

It seems I mailed home the powersupply cord and transformer for my IBM
ThinkPad 600E, instead of putting it in my suitcase.

So I need something to use until the package I mailed comes.

It says 15.5 to 17 volts DC, 56 watts, and I have a whole bunch of
possible adaptors to use, but if I have to make one from a transformer
and diodes, how much ripple filtering would I likely have to do to
simulate the original power supply. None at all? So many microfarads
worth before and so many after the diodes?

I have a 40 year-old EICO kit scope that I've never fully understood
how to use -- I bought it used and assembled -- but this might be the
push I need to finally learn how to use it for something more than the
most basic use. I also have loads of diodes and an assortment of
capacitors of all sizes, plus I can buy more if I need to. But since
this is only for a few weeks, until the box comes in the mail, and I'm
not going to be going anywhere with it, I don't want to go to more
trouble than necessary.

Thanks.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

Ya didn't hear it from me, but when I left my laptop power supply in
Hawaii, I bought one at CompUSA to use until my friend could ship the
original one back. (30 day money back guarantee and all)

Of course, you won't learn any electronics that way...