Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Soldering, time for hot air?

On Dec 30, 9:39*pm, Jeff wrote:
I just replaced a Cyrix surface mount 486 cpu this weekend with my
conventional Edsyn temp controlled soldering station. I cut the old chip
body off, cleaned the pads, and used the my own version of the "flood
and wick off" the extra method. The results were good and it works fine
but there must be a better way.

Good for you! That removal can't have been easy.

There's a good removal solution that works without extra
soldering hardware, called 'Chip-quik'; it's a very low
melting point solder, you just clean, flux, add the special solder,
then the whole chip lifts up at circa 100C (which is the melting point
of the alloy).
Of course, it needs to be cleaned up before re-soldering with real
solder. The removed part doesn't need any leads clipped,
though.