Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default OT Digital camera mod

On 2007-12-31, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 06:10:14 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, quickly quoth:

On Dec 31, 4:22 am, nick hull wrote:
.... The problem is that all
digital cameras that I know about turn themselves off automatically.

,,,,

Only the cheap ones. The Nikon DSLR types have an on-off switch that
is mechanical.

They *do* go to sleep -- but wake up instantly with a half-press
of the shutter release.

They also sell an application which allows you to
control the camera remote from a Windoz PC. My D40 has an
intervalometer mode allowing the camera to take pictures at preset
intervals.

How do you like the D40? I'm considering upgrading to that from an old
Coolpix 995 which is still serving me well. I want an instant-click
digital. My 995 takes several seconds to boot and focus before I can
snap a shot, and lots of times that's too long to wait.

The D40 (or any of the Nikon Digital SLRs) are very close to
instant on. If I switch my D70 on as I'm raising to my eye, it will be
ready to take a picture by the time it gets there. And if the light is
not terrible, the autofocus will be quick enough to be no problem.

Otherwise -- you can turn off autofocus -- and if you know how
far away your subject will be, you can prefocus to eliminate even the
little autofocus time.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |