Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Ride-on Mower w/Snowblower

on 12/30/2007 6:13 PM cloud dreamer said the following:
Hi,

I'm just starting to take a peek around at ride-on mowers that have
snowblower attachments. Any recommendations out there?

My driveway is 300 feet long, gravel and is sloped. I had an ATV with
a blade and I know it often needed to be in 4WD to plow the
driveway...so I can't see a 2WD mower being able to do it. Is 4WD
standard on all ride-ons or just the high end ones? I've seen Kubota
list 4wd on some of their machines but I can't find anything on the
Toros.

Even with 4WD, are they good snowblowers or more trouble than they're
worth? Do they slide all over the place...not have the HP push up the
driveway??

Any experience, opinions appreciated. TIA

..

I have an old Murray garden tractor with an old Haban Snowblower
attachment. My driveway is only about 100' long and is asphalt paved. I
have had to replace a belt and a chain because of broken asphalt at the
roadway edge of my driveway (asphalt road is deteriorating due to
surface water).
If I had to blow a gravel driveway, I would set the blower to be not
more than 1" from the surface and go slow as to not allow the blower to
bounce down below that 1". Any rock getting caught between the blower
blade and blade housing is sure to do some damage.
A 2 wheel drive tractor is sufficient when using a blower since the snow
is thrown out of the path of the tractor, whereas a plow is pushing snow
in front of the tractor and causing more resistance to tractor movement.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY