Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mortice lock removal

chudford wrote:
On 30 Dec, 18:18, chudford wrote:
My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of the mortice locks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

Well I successfully changed the lock.

I tried removing the hinge pins, got them out but couldn't get the
door off as the hinge plates jammed and it would have damaged the door
to push it out.

So plan B, I cut the lock with an angle grinder. No problems cut
through the hardened steel inserts OK and the bolt fell off.

Fitted new lock and have one happy daughter.

Innit nice when you are a hero?

Where the steel inserts the sort that are supposed to spin & thus prevent
sawing through?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk