Andy Hall

Default Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:00:52 +0100, "L Reid"

snip

Best material goven type of construction is 50mm or thicker
celotex/kingspan Isocyanurate board.

Cut to fit available space and tape well to prevent draughts.

Where you have a flat surface more than 4" deep, rockwoool is a cheaper
alternative.

Both are unpleasant to work with - wear gloves masks and a boiler suit
if possible.

I thought the 'boardy' stuff was a bit more pleasant to work with than the
rockwool? Should I worry about condensation, or should I be OK with a slate
roof with no underfelt? It certainly let water in easily enough last week
when a slate had moved.

Thanks again (again?!)

Leigh

I found Celotex much more pleasant to work with than rockwool or glass
fibre. Certainly I didn't find gloves necessary, but for cutting,
especially with a power tool like a circular saw, a dust mask is
essential and it's preferable to work outside. It does create a lot
of fine dust, but only when actually cutting. I used an old table
saw with an old blade and hooked up the dust extraction to the Bosch
wet/dry cleaner. That sucks up most of the dust, but I still think
that a dust mask makes sense. The most efficient way is to cut some
or all of the pieces then get into the loft and have someone pass them
up to you. The job goes pretty quickly then.
Celotex has foil vapour barrier on both sides.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl