Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

Tim Ward wrote:
"Duncan Wood" wrote in message
newsp.t35p8vomyuobwl@lucy...
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 16:40:23 -0000, Tim Ward wrote:

"magwitch" wrote in message
If you are genuinely worried, that means more space on the beach at
Dunwich and Warbleswick for the rest of us nonhysterics
Assuming you mean Walberswick ... then the beach space already has to be
shared with the large population of strange crabs ...

That's it's main plus point;-)

Indeed, but are the large numbers of strange crabs there simply because they
like taking part in the international crabbing competition, or are they the
consequence of Sizewell fallout?

There is no Sizewell fallout.

A friend of moine, very anti-nuclear and an original greeny scientist,
built a geiger counter and went round every single power sttaion in the
UK with it.

ONLY at Windscale, was there any evidence of radioactivity above background.

He got far more on Dartmoor.

Now he went *looking* for problems and issues. He found none.

The fuel reprocessing and the waste management is far more dodgy than
the power stations themselves.

Windscale, Three Mile Island, and Chernobyl were examples of accidents
with antiquated technology that no one would dream of building today,
and they none of them wrecked the planet half as much as CO2 is doing.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki, both examples of huge uncontained releases of
radioactivity, are inhabitable today. It is inconceivable that any
nuclear accident could be 1% as devastating from a fallout point of view.

Now I don't say let's go back the 60's where in class the physics
master removed two pellets of uranium from a lead lined boxes, and
carefully brought them within a few mm of each other and we listened to
a Geiger counter going wild..receiving probably about 5 years allowable
dosage by todays standards..but there is a continued note of hysteria
about nuclear issues, that the facts do not support.

The Cold war was a time when the Soviet Union was happy to fund anyone
who campaigned against nuclear weapons sided on these shores, and did. I
am not saying that CND was soviet inspired, but they were very happy to
see it do its thing, and certainly gave it many helping hands. Big Oil
was equally happey to see a major competitor driven out of business.
Only teh perceived political need for difference, and the need to make
the proces of breeding plutonium seem socially useful, led to us
building reactors at all.

The arguments against nuclear power are largely FUD. Fear of what MIGHT
happen. The safety record is in fact hugely better than comparable power
generating industries. As far as its un-greenness and unnaturalness
goes, well we live on the surface of a large fission reactor anyway.
Apparently we are somewhat used to it, as a species.