Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Hollowing tools.

Hi Gerald, Good post that's prying up some good responses.

One way to evaluate tools and gadgets is to look at past and current
catalogs. What's not advertised in current catalogs that was listed in
years past is probably something that few turners are using. I figure
that perennially advertised tools work, so let others use and misuse a
new tool for a while before you buy it. Hollow with whatever tools you
have, using whatever techniques you know. As has been said before,
"hollow end grain anyway you can".

For hollowing boxes, you might want to wait a while on specialized tools
and just
drill a hole in the end grain to finish depth, widen out and shape the
cavity with a gouge, undercut the neck with a 90 deg. or greater
inserted bit tool, smooth with straight and curved scrapers and finish
up with sandpaper. BTW, I think most commercial small swan neck tools
are too flimsy, designed to hollow maybe 3 inches, but since the swan's
neck can't be on the tool rest it adds to the overhang.

Another approach might be to look in catalogs or a friend's shop and
choose what hollowing tool makes sense to you from the many options,
then make or buy your choice. With so many size, grain, form, tool,
method, cost and experience variables to contend with there is no one
best. Pick one that suits you and try it, no matter which one you pick
or find satisfactory, you'll want to try a different one soon, then
another. It's a shame we can't exchange our used once and discarded
tools to satisfy each other's tool curiosity. There would be plenty to
go around without buying or making any more culch. IMHO, if a tool
requires a "learning curve" that's a lot more difficult than learning
the usual turning technique, something's amiss.

BTW, I believe that it's right to emphasize good tooling, but In a way,
sanding as a tooling effort is becoming the "no-no" of the 2000's, sort
of like scraping was in the 1980's or the "great skew-scare" of the
1990's. Scraping is now very legitimate and skewing is very popular
while use of the "80 grit gouge" has become laughable or suggests
incompetence. Nevertheless, abrasives are cutting tools.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter