Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Back to Carbide vs Diamond

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
The following tool is for sale at the Harbor. Item No. 46727
(Sorry but I am failing at pasting a workable hyperlink to the item. When I
try to click my own pasted hyperlink, it comes back "item not found".
Advice appreciated).

This is for sale at my local store for $ 134.99 and we pay no taxes in
Oregon!!

Anyway, anybody have any scoop on this item? Mainly, will I be able to
replace one or both wheels with a diamond wheel? Do diamond wheels come in
a 'bolt-on' configuration with a 1-1/4 inch hole?

BTW, while I own a serious 3hp 3phase pedestal grinder, I have purchased
(years ago) an inexpensive ($29) bench grinder from harbor freight and
dedicated it (obviate contamination) to sharpening my tungsten tig welding
tips. Very happy with this machine. No perceivable run-out. I can shut
the grinder off, go take a 3 minute crap, and when I come back it still
hasn't finished spinning. I'm sure quality varies sample to sample.

Any advice on the above would be appreciated. There are budget
considerations, and, so far I haven't needed one of these tool grinders.
Maybe I don't need one now, but tools ownership is fun!!

Thanks,

Ivan Vegvary

I bought one of these six months ago or so, the advice of other posters
is the same as my experience. Decent machine, tables needed a bit of
fiddling to tune them up, so to speak. Reversible (unlike the Enco
equivalent), which is a handy feature. Mine had one backing plate (the
part the wheel bolts to) with a terrible amount of runout, before I
screwed around boring it out and sleeving it I talked to the Harbor
Freight warranty department and they sent one to me free of charge in
less than a week. The replacement ran under .0015" tir in both planes,
good enough for me, that was about what the other side measured also.

What I'd like to find is a reasonably priced aluminum oxide wheel for
it. I remember running across one in a catalog somewhere but it was
more money than a decent diamond wheel! I'd like to mount the AlO2 on
one side for HSS. I'll be getting a diamond for carbide, the original
silicon carbide wheels get by but could be better.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.