Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Patrick[_3_] Patrick[_3_] is offline

Default Maple Bowl

Good thought Kevin. Wouldn't the wax impede any later finish though?
I've been using tung oil topped off with paste wax.

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
"Patrick" pfischerATATATATWavecable.com wrote:

Thanks Ralph, this is the feedback I was looking for. I'll take the 1/3
rule into the next piece. I've had my lathe about 6 months and have done
no turning prior to that. The tearout was pretty obvious but even 80 grit
paper couldn't seem to make it smooth. Can't see it in the photo but the
opposite side of the interior has the same problem. I'm working on
sharpening skills so end grain like that may not be so obvious next time.
Thanks again.

Don't know if you're using a sanding pad in a drill or not but they work
wonders on the tearout. Paste wax is your friend to - rub it onto the
tearout, then powersand it. The wax softens the wood and it sands out
quite nicely...

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller, Juneau, Alaska