Posted to alt.home.repair
cloud dreamer cloud dreamer is offline

Default Ride-on Mower w/Snowblower

wrote:
On Dec 30, 6:23�pm, "Pete C." wrote:
cloud dreamer wrote:

Hi,
I'm just starting to take a peek around at ride-on mowers that have
snowblower attachments. Any recommendations out there?
My driveway is 300 feet long, gravel and is sloped. I had an ATV with a
blade and I know it often needed to be in 4WD to plow the driveway...so
I can't see a 2WD mower being able to do it. Is 4WD standard on all
ride-ons or just the high end ones? I've seen Kubota list 4wd on some of
their machines but I can't find anything on the Toros.
Even with 4WD, are they good snowblowers or more trouble than they're
worth? Do they slide all over the place...not have the HP push up the
driveway??
Any experience, opinions appreciated. TIA

Traction is much more of an issue when plowing than when blowing.
Problem with blowing on a gravel driveway is picking up all the gravel.
You have to get a solid snow / ice pack down initially to lock in the
gravel and then only cut down to that point with the blower on future
passes.- Hide quoted text -

note

snow may be blown 5 feet, a decent sized rock 30 feet.

you shou;ld only blow snow in gravel driveways if no one and nothing
is around!

all it takes is one skidding tire to displace a little gravel into the
snow and then blow the snow and gravel thru your neighbors car window.

dont ask how i know so much about this

lol....yeah...I live on ten acres surrounded by lots of trees, so taking
out a neighbours car isn't a concern...unless I tried really really
hard...

I have a regular snowblower now and can see how the gravel shortens its
life...as it's rusted where the inner auger turns, catching the rocks
between the blades and painted surface.

Since I have to get a ride on mower anyway, I'd like to get the
snowblower attached, rather than get a second machine. I can also use
the ride on for some basic garden tasks too, which will help (I'm not
getting any younger).

Any suggestions on the brand names? Toro, Kubota...any others?
Good...bad...all the same...

..

--

We must change the way we live,