Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default The Robbers Got Extra Lead With Their Dominoes Pizza

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:10:09 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

-snip-
Years ago, a riot took place at a black university and a
police officer was killed. 1,100 people were arrested and charged
with capital murder (death penalty).

So vague that I have to ask for the smallest of details so I can read
about it. Can I have a year or a university- or even a decade &
state?

Jim

May 1967, Texas Southern University, Houston, Texas.

This was pre-internet, so existing reports are sketchy. Below are three
mentions of the incident - there are more.

I was with the sheriff's department at the time. We were not directly
involved, but followed the events closely. What started the event was
somewhat weird: A Houston police patrol car stopped to see what a group of
students were doing huddled in a circle on the sidewalk (a major street
bisects the campus). As the two officers were getting out of their car,
someone threw a watermelon at their car, breaking its windshield! (I am
NOT making this up.) The two officers ducked back into their car and
radioed for assistance. Things just snowballed after that.

The police chief at the time, Herman Short (who, believe it or not, died
today Dec 30th), was not, er, racially sensitive. One of his quotes
(paraphrasing): "Anybody wearing a gun, stopping traffic on a public
street, and 'soliciting' donations to the Black Panthers or anything else
is going to die."

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/...s/RR/jcr2.html

http://myreader.co.uk/msg/12113450.aspx

http://www.outreach.olemiss.edu/Free.../Timeline.html

I love that Southern justice.

I was living in Houston at the time Marvin Zindler was raising the ruckus
about "The Chicken Ranch" in LaGrange. Early 70s.

"MARRRRRRRVIN ZZZZZZZINDLER,
EYYYYYYYYYE WITNESS NEWSSSSSS!" He would go around and crusade about
consumer issues and somebody got ripped off at the body shop.

He was an aggravating puke, and IIRC, a retired PO.

Seeing TJ Fluoronoy (sp) reach through his car window, seize him by his
necktie and punch him repeatedly in the face with the camera within three
feet was priceless. Left hand pull, right hand punch in the nose. Repeat,
repeat, repeat, repeat.

The Chicken Ranch was closed right after that on governor's order, IIRC,
mainly because of that footage. I'm sure Marvin had a headache that night.

Steve