Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Hardwood floors over old pine

dpb wrote:
jgold723 wrote:
There are two layers of 3/4 boards -- the subfloor are wide, roughsawn
boards and the top layer is 8-inch boards butted against each other.
The top layer is in bad shape -- painted many times, cupped in spots.
We've been told it's not worth refinishing and I'd tend to agree. The
lead dust alone would probably qualify the house as a Superfund site.

Do what you want, of course; but I'm personally very much prone to
retain the "old" in old houses. What about turning the top level over
to the under side rather than losing all that history?

And, btw, as another way to restore such vintage places -- in Lynchburg,
VA, did these routinely of old antebellum houses in downtown during
revitalization.

Rather than sand in place which often would require far more material to
be lost or difficulty, since we were doing bare-wall restorations
anyway, we would take material such as this to a commercial shop w/ a
thickness sander. W/ one of these dudes, it's a snap and working
individual pieces is more material-saving than the whole floor. Some
distress and marks are "character", not defects, also...

Where are you located? If anyways close by, I'd take the material you
don't want in a heartbeat...