Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default Back to Carbide vs Diamond

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote:

Anyway, anybody have any scoop on this item? Mainly, will I be able to
replace one or both wheels with a diamond wheel? Do diamond wheels come
in
a 'bolt-on' configuration with a 1-1/4 inch hole?

Yup. You will likely have to fix up the flange adaptors since the one I
saw
at harborfreight had excessive runout. Enco had an email sale not too
long
ago for a 150g 75% 1/16 d wheel for under 60 bucks. Likely with enco
lighting will strike again.

Have them get you a box and have a look at it under power before
purchasing
it. That was suggested to me earlier in another thread. I passed on
buying
one but just about everyone said that it is worth buying if you check it
out
before purchase and are willing to do a bit of work getting it right.

Wes

What Wes said. It's important that the face of a diamond wheel run true,
otherwise it will wear unevenly, cutting short its useful life, and giving
you no end of grief when grinding. Simply remove the flanges and machine
them so they run true, or add a series of two sets of three set screws set
@ 120 degrees. They will allow you to adjust the fit of the adapter on the
shaft of the motor to achieve perfect alignment.

You can't begin to build a grinder with tables for that kind of money.
Add a small coolant pump to replace the drip system if you want to guild the
lily.

Harold