Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default 1001 things that won' t save the planet. Or even come close.

On 2007-12-30 21:22:38 +0000, Roland Perry said:

In message 4777f533@qaanaaq, at 19:44:51 on Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Andy
Hall remarked:
The office copier I would need to use is the one at the destination.
That's the place I'm teleworking with. But the original is in my home
office in Nottingham and the copier is 500 miles away.

So scanner at home and print to the copier over a VPN connection......

Alternatively just send the file to a service bureau like Fedex Kinko's
and get them to produce the treeware.

I don't see the problem.....

You probably don't.

With that particular issue there isn't a problem.

And lots of people don't see the problems of teleworking jobs that
aren't fundamentally teleworkable.

I do understand your point about the need for face to face meetings for
certain purposes and use it myself on occasions. I also take your
point that it can be important when beginning new business
relationships and especially when the other party does not speak
English as their first language.

However... I do have to optimise my time, and to that end need to be
able to operate my "office" from almost anywhere on the planet at
virtually any time. To achieve that, I make sure that I have high
speed internet access as much of the time as possible when traveling,
and can initiate sending of materials electronically, by fax or by hard
copy (colour glossy if really needed). It really doesn't matter if
I am sitting at home, in an airport lounge, a customer or a hotel lobby
several time zones away. For the pieces of time in taxis or other
instances where high speed access is not available, the Blackberry
saves me at least an hour a day on average.

Travel is also carefully planned, in order to optimise productive time.
A byproduct of that is that unnecessary journies are not made.

So basically the "office" moves around, but not back and forth from
home each day. During some weeks it remains at home most of the week,
while during others it might be in three or four different cities.