Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis[_2_] mac davis[_2_] is offline

Default A piece of scrap redesigned a bit.

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 07:40:26 -0500, Bill wrote:

I've never used BLO. Most of the time, I finish my carvings with a
varying number of coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, depending on the
sheen that I want to achieve.

I would imagine that this would be a similar looking finish to the
BLO.

Does BLO cure to a hard finish?

Bill

I can only go by one experience, Bill...
My wife bought me a quart of BLO by mistake years ago... (I wanted Danish Oil)

A few months ago, we picked up a very used pine stereo cabinet and she was going
to go over it with a wet rag..

Hearing about BLO a lot in the woodworking group but not knowing that it was a
finish, I suggested that she use the BLO instead of water...
WOW! What a difference.. Slightly darker color and grain popping out.. dents and
scratches much less obvious, etc..
She put a 2nd coat on a few days later and we didn't do a topcoat, because we
love the way the wood looks..
Not sure if you'd call it a "hard" finish, but as I understand it, linseed oil
dries slowly if at all, but the boiling changes the properties and allows it to
dry faster... It seems to me that it was dry to the touch in a few hours..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing