Posted to alt.home.repair
maxodyne maxodyne is offline

Default Changed to: tank vs. tankless water heater

KLS wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 03:33:09 GMT, maxodyne
wrote:

I recently bought a Bosch Aquastar 2400E, and I installed it myself.

[massive snippage; read OP for great details]

[thanx for the compliment, I spent some time wanting my post to be accurate]

I'm not a "tankless evangelist" (say, would that be a "tankless job"?
hehe) -- given my situation, I think I did the right thing. That said,
if tankless works in my situation, perhaps it would be an appropriate
choice for many other homeowners/residential income property owners as
well, if only they were aware of the option & did the research.

Where are you located? I'm considering tankless for if/when we ever
build a house, but we have long cold winters up by Lake Ontario, and
the heat dissipation of the water heater tank in the basement isn't a
bad thing, per se, during winters, and the tank technology seems to
have simpler problems to solve compared with the tankless (plus, some
areas where we live don't have natural gas supply).

I am located approximately 40 miles northwest of Los Angeles,
California. I'm familiar with your climate; my father lives in Buffalo,
NY and keeps his sailboat at a marina in Toronto. I lived for 15 years
in the Eastern Sierra region of California where the temperature can
drop to below zero F overnight. I am aware of the complications that
cold weather can bring. And I really enjoy the Mediterranean climate
down here in Southen California! ;^)

I'm convinced that tankless is the way to go, with a few exceptions.
Lack of natural gas is not an issue as tankless heaters can run on
propane or electricity. If saving $$ in the long haul and/or
enviromental concerns are priorities, tankless is the solution IMHO.

Regarding the Lake Ontario region, one exception to the above statement
that comes to mind is the possibility of any standing water inside a
tankless heater freezing and damaging the heat exchanger. If your
basement never freezes, then that would be a good tankless location.
However, damage would certainly happen if the heater were mounted
outside the house -- and Bosch (and others) make externally-mountable
units. Tankless would not a good choice for a summer cabin, for
instance, unless any standing water could be completely drained in
preparation for winter. I suppose one could aim a 150 watt heat lamp at
a tankless heater to prevent it from freezing, but that might negate
some or all of the tankless' energy savings. Ideally, you'd want a
drainback valve as used on solar hot water collectors in cold country,
but I don't think the tankless heaters are available with such a valve.

Before installing my Bosch heater, I removed its steel cover just to
have a "look under the hood [bonnet]". There is a lot of stuff in there,
but I can't remember whether or not I saw a drain plug. I would not want
to take a chance on a $1,000 heater that might have some trapped water
that could freeze and do something expensive...

Let's see if anyone reads this & has some experience with tankless hot
water heaters installed in places where freezing temperatures are a concern.