Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default two problems...

George wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

first problem...

got home from xmas road trip last night. furnace was not working and
house was a chilly 48 degrees inside (thermostat was set to 57 while I
was away.) Fortunately I'd drained all the plumbing just in case it
got really cold and something bad happened, and also it never got
seriously below freezing while I was away. I ASSumed that the ignitor
had gone Tango Uniform again but I simply power cycled the furnace and
it fired right up and has run through several cycles. I can only
assume that it failed to ignite at some point while I was away and the
thermocouple shut it down. I've had the water heater go out a couple
times, but only a couple, over the past year. Never often enough to
consider it a problem and call in a repairman. I'm starting to wonder
if there's an issue with the gas service (water?) but I had the water
heater shut off while I was away so I couldn't see if the pilot on the
heater had blown out as well. Any ideas? I can deal with relighting
the water heater every couple months but not so much with the furnace
shutting off while I'm away.

Second problem is I'd like to strap up some pipes but have been
completely unable to find copper roofing-type nails, which is what I
assume I want. Only source of copper nails at all that I've been able
to find is McMaster-Carr, but they only sell common nails and small
tacks. Is that all that is currently available? I actually stopped
at the hardware store that has the best selection of various fasteners
that I've ever seen while I was on vacation and couldn't find any
copper nails there.

nate

Did you go to a real supply house? The local plumbing supply has small
bags (and probably large ones) of appropriate nails for Cu pipe straps
available.

The only "supply house" I have locally is not open outside business
hours. would happily buy from an online source.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel