Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Goodbye 100w, 75w Incandescent Lamps

(Don Klipstein) wrote in
:

In article , JoeSpareBedroom wrote in
part:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
m...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I (Don) EDIT FOR SPACE HERE
We're forced to pay for all sorts of crap. I wouldn't mind paying
for a light rail system.

Then you'd be even more of a fool than you routinely demonstrate
yourself to be. Light rail doesn't work as mass transit No
capacity, no speed.

Heavy rail works.

Busses work very very well.

Light rail is a farce.

Do you suppose light rail can do better than 30 mph on a good day?

The Route 100 trolley line through Delaware County to Norristown (in
Montgomery Co.), suburbs of Philadelphia, achieves 60 MPH in the
fastest stretch and 35-50 in a lot of other portions of the route. I
have seen some of these go a bit faster in the fastest stretch.
One of the morning rush hour express ones leaves 69th St terminal at
8:15 AM and arrives at the Norristown end of the line at 8:38
according to the schedule. In that 23 minutes, it travels a distance
that I estimate on a map to be about 11.5 miles. That works out to 30
MPH average speed from one end of the line to the other, which I
consider very high for a trolley. This line has trolleys running
mainly (possibly entirely) on dedicated right-of-way.

However, I have seen cost estimates of a proposed light rail line
northwestward along the Schuylkill River, where the Reading Railroad
used to run trains. Construction estimate was a gigabuck or two IIRC,
despite running where track already exists for the line that the
Reading Railroad used to run trains between Philadelphia and Reading.
With projected ridership of only a few thousand passengers daily, that
price easily makes this appear to be a bad deal, and it has yet to get
off the ground. I have even not heard anything about this in the past
couple or few years.

- Don Klipstein )

wouldn't a faster train make fewer stops,with more distance between them?
And the slower light rail make more stops,closer together,meaning less
walking to get to your destination.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik