Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Mortice lock removal

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 10:44:12 -0800, chudford wrote:

On 30 Dec, 18:28, "Scabbydug" wrote:
"chudford" wrote in message

My Daughter has just moved into her house and there is no key for one
of themorticelocks.

We want to change the lock, any ideas on how we can remove the old
lock (it is locked by the way)

I thought about cutting through the lock with an angle grinder but
will it be able to cut through the steel inserts in the latch?

Your help would be appreciated.

She can't afford a locksmith by the way.

An angle grinder will cope with the hardened pins no bother assuming of
course you can get access to the bolt. Do you know if it's a 3 lever,
5lever or a decent BS 5 lever lock?

Thanks for that. I can get the grinder blade in the gap between the door
and jamb.

I think it is a 5 lever as the others in the house are.

I'll give it a try tomorrow when we can get a new lock.

If it's the same type and same manufacturer as the others you might be
able to get a local locksmith to make a master key based on one of the
keys belonging to the other locks.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux