Posted to alt.home.repair
jgold723 jgold723 is offline

Default Hardwood floors over old pine

Yes, this would be the ideal situation, but I'd like to avoid that, if
only to save a couple of weeks worth of labor (we're doing this part
time). My goal is to do this as easily as possible, without cutting
serious corners.

On Dec 29, 2:30*pm, wrote:
On Dec 29, 7:42*am, Steve wrote:

jgold723 wrote on 29 Dec 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

We are contemplating hardwood floors in an 1860 house we are
renovating. It currently has two layers (1.5 inches total) of pine
floor -- the rough-sawn subfloor covered by painted pine boards.
Everything sits on 2 x 8 joists (older style) set 30" OC.

I'm planning on tearing up the top layer of boards and putting down
3/4 T&G flooring (Advantech). But I'm worried that the amount of flex
(bounce) in the floor from the widely spaced joists will cause
problems down the road.

Has anyone here tried anything similar? What luck?

The flooring manufacturer will have something to say on this subject.
30" spacing is very wide. If you don't follow the manufacturer's
recommendations, your warranty is void. Check the box instructions and
the web site for requirements for joist spacing, underlayment
thickness, and smootheness.

My main task is usually to make sure the subfloor is smoothe enough.
The requirement is usually less than 1/8" to 1/4" variation in six to
eight feet. You might have to leave both layers in place and put 3/4"
plywood on top.

Call the manufacturer. You have an unusual situation.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement

if you are going to take up one layer, u might as well take up both
layers and add more joists so u can keep level transitions in and out
of other rooms