Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Patrick[_3_] Patrick[_3_] is offline

Default Maple Bowl

Thanks Ralph, this is the feedback I was looking for. I'll take the 1/3 rule
into the next piece. I've had my lathe about 6 months and have done no
turning prior to that. The tearout was pretty obvious but even 80 grit paper
couldn't seem to make it smooth. Can't see it in the photo but the opposite
side of the interior has the same problem. I'm working on sharpening skills
so end grain like that may not be so obvious next time. Thanks again.

Pat..

"Ralph" wrote in message
Mark & Juanita wrote:
"Patrick" pfischerATATATATWavecable.com wrote:

This is the first piece I've been willing to post. There are some issues
see but I think I'll see what you all have to say. Be kind but honest...

Very nice figure

Pat, I take it you haven't done much turning.Overall its not bad. I like
the uneven top and the side contour. The base is to large in diameter. A
rule of thumb is to have the base 1/3 of the largest diameter of the bowl.
There appears to be some tear out inside the bowl. This could be caused
by a dull gouge or not riding the bevel which could create chatter and
give you an uneven cut. This could be cleaned up by an "80 grit" gouge
but would be easier during your initial turning. Overall - good job.