Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default home-made one-person water level?

On Dec 29, 1:30*pm, El Stroko Guapo wrote:
George wrote:
I need a water level. *It seems you can make a one-person water level by
hooking one end into a reservoir. *If anyone has done this, I'd be
interested in what they used for parts.

TIA,
George

Enough clear tubing to go the length of the project plus a few feet,
punch a hole in the bottom of a clear milk jug, seal the tubing with a
little caulk, Kool-aid for the fluid, it's easier to see.

I prefer just the clear tubing with enough lengh to to reach all parts
plus several feet left over. Eliminates the need for the clumsy
bucket if you have to move the set up around much.

Used one a lot on remodel of two houses, 18x30 addition, 30x50 pole
barn, etc.

Put up your datum point Post in the middle is best, mark the reference
line, a couple nails spaced so the hose will slide easily but snugly
between them.

Fill hose with water leaving a couple feet at each end empty.

With helper: He holds tube on post to be marked, you slide hose at
datum post up/down until leve matches line, he holds his end in
position while you wander over an mark the post. Or let him mark it
if you trust his work.

By yourself: Two nails on each post to be marked just like the
datum.

WARNING about use:

1. Make sure there are no bubbles in the line.
2. Make sure that there is no big variation in temperature for the
entire length. It will be inaccurate if 1/2 is in shade and 1/2 in
sun for example.

Harry K