Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Hollowing tools

if you are making boxes and doing just a little undercutting, you don't need
special tools and hollowing rigs and all the other paraphanalia that you can
spend money on

1. I really like the Soren Berger tool for making square bottom boxes - it's
really optimized for that purpose - however, a bowl gouge and a square nosed
scraper will do almost as well

2. for light undercutting, as long as you don't need more than about an 85
degree angle to the center line, just use the bowl gouge - if you need more
than that, you will need somethihng with a bend in it - my favorite tool for
that purpose is a piece of 3/4 inch cold rolled steel with a short extension
at about 45 degrees that is in reality a 1/4 inch bowl gouge - that lets me
undercut quite significantly - but beware that it can really really catch if
you aren't right on top of it and get the angles wrong

3. a gouge bent into a hook will work just like number 2

4. a bent scraper is more forgiving

"GDStutts" wrote in message
I am a relatively new turner and I am coming out of the shadows with
this post.

I would like to hear your feelings on the different type of hollowing
tools. I am looking to use them making boxes and undercutting the
sides of bowls. Which do you use for roughing/finishing? Carbide or
not? Ring cutters, which are recommended or not? Please do not hold
back I like to see this groups unvarnished opinion both good and bad.

Thanks,

Gerald