Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Hollowing tools

Gerald
I make mine, mostly. Sometimes I use a gouge to turn the inside of boxes and
such but mostly I use Ellsworth style hollowers, basically 3/16" Oland tools
at straight and 45* angles. I like them in an arm brace
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/brace.shtml but a regular handle is fine,
especially for small sizes.
For some of the end grain turning a hook tool is ideal
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/hooktool.shtml and makes great cuts
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/hookuse.shtml
You might also want to take a look at hollowing in general
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/hollow1.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"GDStutts" wrote in message
I am a relatively new turner and I am coming out of the shadows with
this post.

I would like to hear your feelings on the different type of hollowing
tools. I am looking to use them making boxes and undercutting the
sides of bowls. Which do you use for roughing/finishing? Carbide or
not? Ring cutters, which are recommended or not? Please do not hold
back I like to see this groups unvarnished opinion both good and bad.

Thanks,

Gerald