Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default 12vt compressors?

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Dec 29, 12:53 am, "Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote:
snip-

You can buy them for a song----less than $20, used. There's not much to
them, and if you're not happy with the pressure they deliver, you can
machine the head to increase output. I run just such a compressor on my 1
ton Dodge, with air horns. I added a tank large enough to be able to fill
a tire, and have a quick connect, protected with a weatherproof cover. I
have about 10 gallons of 150 PSI air at my disposal if needed.

Harold

Any idea of what CFM and duty cycle they have?

TMT

No clue, but they're very much like the little 12V compressors you see sold
in auto parts stores. Difference is, they go the distance. Duty cycle must
be fairly good----although I put a small fan on mine because it's in the box
(cube van) where it gets no air circulation. They're usually found under
the hood, mounted above a fender. Mine kicks on @ 135 PSI and off @ 150
PSI, filling the fairly large tank (for a small truck, anyway, so it runs
for some time. Piston is fairly small-----perhaps 1-1/4". It's been a
while since I last looked at it and my memory has dimmed.

When increasing the compression, I find it now starves for air when at high
altitudes, so it can't build the pressure. Works fine at 1,100 ft.
elevation and below, but a trip to Chiloquin, Oregon three years ago I
discovered it wouldn't build past about 140 PSI. Mine came off a GM car.
I imagine all GM compressors are identical.

Harold