Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Garbage disposal wiring

In article , wrote:
I am in the middle of replacing my garbage disposal with the
Insinkerator Evolution. Following the directions, I removed the cord
from the old disposal. Now I am stuck at installing the cord in the
new disposal.

The directions say to attach white to white, black to black and green
to the grounding screw. The old cord doesn't HAVE black and white,
though. It is SPT-3 E166124. The ground is clearly marked.

E166124 cord *does* have color-coded insulation.

Can anyone help? This seems to be simple enough, if I can just figure
out which is hot and which is neutral.

Simple: the black one is hot, and the white one is neutral. If the white one
is so dark that you can't tell them apart, you'd probably better replace the
cord.

I'm not sure what you're doing with an E166124 flexible cord in the first
place, though.

--
Regards,