Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default Several questions, j-head, 4140, rods

In article
,
JHP wrote:

Anyway, he's
using a boring head to cut a radius near the "large" end of the rod
and experiencing chatter. Switching to a new (sharper) boring bit,
definitely helped. This is an interrupted cut, making it more of a
challenge.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could you perhaps machine 2 at once, bolted
together, and not have an interrupted cut? as best I fuzzily recall,
most rod ends appear to be a half-circle, with the cap being another
half-circle (perhaps not quite to permit for some shimming to size - but
you could bolt two together with a shim, then?)