Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default re skimming ceilings

On Dec 28, 8:22 pm, benpost wrote:

My property has sound but unattractive ceilings. they are all
generally sound (no cracks/stains) but are finished with a bobbly
stipply effect. also there are some strips visible, like tape has been
removed or something, so there are flat lines about 2 inches thick
once or twice.

The tape is jointing and the artex is obviously on too thin or it
would have hidden it.

You can flatten the artex with a steamer and some sort of rolling pin.

I'd palster over it though as it may contain asbestos if it is old
stuff. And I'd do it PDQ too. Get a squity bottle an empty kitchen
cleaner or some such
spray and fill it with PVA white glue and water mixed.

Spray the ceiling and it should be sound enough to leave for a week or
so while you get organised.